The Home of Rest for Old Horses came into being in 1950 when Mrs Mildred Royston and her sister Miss Kermode, became dismayed at the number of perfectly fit, old, working horses being shipped from the Island for a doubtful future.
From small beginnings, hard work, dedication and a lean income, the Home progressed until 1955 when a fortunate legacy provided the means to purchase "Bulrhenny" where the Home is now.
Of particular concern, were the old tram horses, and today we have "first option" on tram horses as they retire.
Since 1950 more than 280 animals have found happy retirement. We presently look after over 50 horses and 8 donkeys.
We rely entirely on voluntary contributions and this can be by either a donation of any size or, by adopting one of our residents for which a minimum donation of £10.00 annually will be gratefully accepted but with the cost of feed and care for these horses and donkeys, anyone contributing more than this, will help considerably to meet those needs. A Newsletter will be sent out in the Spring and Autumn along with a photograph of your chosen adoption.
View a 360° tour