BLUE PAGES
Home / News / SHARK ATTACK IN SEYCHELLES

SHARK ATTACK IN SEYCHELLES

Wednesday August 17th, 2011
FATAL SHARK ATTACK IN SEYCHELLES

A British man has been killed by a shark whilst honeymooning in the Seychelles. Ian Redmond was snorkelling only yards from the shore at Anse Lazio beach on the island of Praslin when the attack took place. The 30 year old from Lancashire had been married only two weeks. His widow Gemma Haughton was on the beach at the time of the attack.

Mr Redmond is reported to have lost and arm and suffered serious wounds to his legs and chest. Police said the victim had 'no chance of surviving' because of the nature of his injuries.

Jeanne Vargiolu, owner of Le Chevalier restaurant on the beach, said, 'I heard an ambulance was coming to the beach and I went around and saw somebody on the floor... asked a policeman and he said it was a shark attack.'

This is the second fatal attack in a month. A French tourist was also killed on August 2.

A Seychelles government minister held an emergency meeting on Tuesday night has later released a statement banning all swimming in the area:

'With immediate effect, the Seychelles Maritime Safety Administration has issued a temporary ban on swimming or entering the water in certain bays of the island of Praslin and islands off the coast of Praslin.'

These are the first fatal attacks in the Seychelles in 50years. Experts believe it is probably one shark. Research scientist Dr Jonathan Werry said, 'They have specific drivers, generally physical or biological drivers, that coincide with their movement into a coastal area... And in many cases when you look at an attack there are other features that have correlated and led to that attack.'

Authorities have launched a hunt for the shark.
SHARE:
space
Comments (0)
No comments exist for this item.
Add Your Comment

Most Recent News Items - View News Archive

top