HIJACK TALKS FAIL TO MAKE HEADWAY
Thursday November 27th, 2008
It would appear that the protracted talks between the owners and hijackers of the Sirius Star supertanker were proving unfruitful despite a 30th November deadline.
Speaking in Mogadishu on Tuesday pirate leader Mohammed Said stated 'We are urging the owners of the Saudi tanker to have an honest dialogue in order to end the crisis… Too much delay is not good for us and for the owners of the tanker and the crew as well. We are not threatening them but we are urging them to be honest.'
This was backed up by the vessels chief engineer Peter French in a phone interview with ITV 'Everything is OK. We've got no mistreatment or anything. We're being treated quite well… Hopefully we are going to get some more phone calls to our families soon. Our families don't have too much to worry about at the moment,' he said.
The International Maritime Board have reported that 96 ships have been attacked so far this year off Somalia and in the Gulf of Aden, including 39 hijacks of which 15 are still being held with over 300 crewmembers aboard.
Most Recent News Items - View News Archive