The Douglas Bay Yacht Club was formed in the 1860's by retired naval officers and local merchants living in Douglas, the capital of the Isle of Man. By the 1890's there was a flourishing racing programme, featuring large cutters with professional crews, racing in Douglas Bay and offshore. This continued until the First World War in 1914 when the Club ceased operations.
Club sailing in Douglas did not start again until 1957 when Douglas Motor Boat & Sailing Club was set up with premises in St Georges Street. The Club moved in 1977, taking over and refurbishing the Trafalgar Tavern on the South Quay. It held regular Cruiser Racing on the sea in the summer and Dinghy Racing on the West Baldwin reservoir in winter. In 1991 the Club acquired the rights to the original name and changed to the Douglas Bay Yacht Club.
Address: Douglas Bay Yacht Club, The Tongue, Douglas, IM1 5AQ