Our restaurant recalls the name of a ferry that used to cross over between Gozo and Malta in the 20th century. It was bought by Joseph Gasan in 1947. It was modernized into a passenger ferry until the Gozo mail service was introduced in 1950. On 23rd January, the Bancinu broke its moorings and was driven ashore at Mgarr during a storm. After the Royal Navy salvage vessel Uplifter salvaged the Bancinu on 10th February, it was towed to the Grand Harbour. Later in December it was sold to a Greek marine company and was renamed Athinai.
Address: Bancinu Restaurant, Gozo Ferry Terminal, Triq Ix Xatt, Ghajnsielem, Gozo