St Mawes Castle, owned by English Heritage, is positioned on the western point of the village. The castle was built in 1538 by Henry VIII after a confrontation with Spanish and French warships in Falmouth Bay.
The St Mawes Castle was built with sea defense in mind and as such did not offer much protection from land based forces. During the civil war in 1646 the St Mawes governor surrendered immediately with resistance as he knew defense from the land side was hopeless.
Opposite Falmouth bay lies Pendennis Castle that has a more defensive and desirable position, this became the main fort in the area and the St Mawes Castle was left without any further developments or alterations.
St Mawes Castle has always, however, been an important gun emplacement right up to the end of the Second World War.
Today the St Mawes Castle is frequented by visitors coming to the village and is also used as an excellent venue for wedding functions. With marquees on the front lawns and the inside of the castle also used, it represents a wedding venue that is able to support a large number of guests.